#8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 01:24
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Addiction is addiction!

How right you are. Addiction is addiction, it then only differs by the drug of choice. My drug of choice has been food, my father's was alcohol, my mother's were her little pills. The common theme amoung us is and was, we don't know how to cope with life. And when life becomes too confusing, painful, or just isn't going our way, we reach out for our drug and medicate ourselves.

So the focus for me has to be on acquiring life skills so I can do the job of living my life better. No medication needed. So when I slip, instead of beating myself up over it and just adding to the pain I try to use those times as a time to learn. I know I slipped, but the important question is why? What was going on before that slip, what was upsetting me that I wasn't dealing with well, I've learned to nip things in the bud as they come up so the binging events become further and further apart. Recovery is a journey that we do one step at a time, one day at a time. My parents couldn't teach me something they didn't know, but it doesn't mean I can't learn now.