View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

All Good LCers Will Count Carbs for Themselves...
The Hidden Carb Calculator Uses Real Calorie Counts to Determine Carbs...
Insoluble Fiber is not Digestible, Sugar Alcohols Are Digestible To Varying Degrees, Soluble Fiber Is Still Under Heavy Discussion... and doctors and scientists don't know "yet"
IF a Carbohydrate Has Calories, It's Digestible to the Degree of Calories It Makes and Therefore It Makes Glucose in the Bloodstream...
Nobody HERE Says To NEVER Eat Sugar Alcohols NOR Do They Say ALL Sugar Alcohols Are OK and Have No Calories So Can Be DEDUCTED from the Total Carb Count ...

You do the math, and let everybody become knowledgable for themselves. Knowledge doesn't require defending, only understanding. There are plenty of threads right here where this is discussed over and over.

I have a ton of respect for Dr. Atkins and how hard he has worked and his understanding as a medical professional, but I do NOT believe that even the Atkins Corporation (not quite the same thing) should take liberties with labelling laws designed to protect consumers, flawed as the laws may be.

Sugar Alcohols as a class, under FDA regulations, and in the absence of product lab testing, have 2 calories a gram. Glycerine is known to have 4.32 calories a gram. Polydextrose is known to have 1 calorie a gram. Ask any pharmacist or biochemist. So on and so on.

repeat after me:
All Good LCers Will Count Carbs for Themselves... etc. etc.