Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 00:05

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Carbolite...

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
The ones I got say they have like .4 carbs a serving, not 0.
Um, sorry to break the news to you, but the labels LIE! You must do the math. They have as many as 12 calories from carbs per "serving", depending on which variety of Carbolite you buy. That makes 21 carbs per bar.

Maybe I should break it down more explicitly. Here's the Carbolite dark chocolate:

A) Protein count is 0.5 gms. Protein has 4 calories per gram.
0.5 gm x 4 cal/gm = 2 calories coming from protein.

B) The label lists 23 calories from fat.

C) Add calories from fat and calories from protein.
2 + 23 = 25 calories from fat and protein.

D) Total calories in serving is listed as 37. Subtract fat/protein calories from total to give remaining calories.
37 - 25 = 12 remaining calories from somewhere
The manufacturers pretend that the calories from maltitol aren't carbohydrates. Nutritionists, biochemists, the FDA say they most certainly are carbohydrates. The FDA is currently issuing warnings to to these lying, no-good low-carb manufacturers to comply or else. Those 12 calories are coming from carbs.

E) Carbs have 4 calories per gram. Divide calories from carbs by carb calories per gram to yield carb grams.
12 / 4 = 3 gm of carbs

F) There are seven "servings" in a bar. Multiply servings by carb grams.
3 gm carb x 7 servings/bar = 21 gm carbs in a single bar.

See how devious that is?! Those blasted bars have gotten me in trouble over and over again.

Here's what I'm doing now: I mix in a blender whey protein isolate (zero carbs, zero flavor), super premium cocoa powder (one carb, one fiber per tablespoon), a touch of Splenda, and water. With very high quality cocoa, it makes a very good chocolate "milk".

If you can still eat them and lose, then why not. But if you stall, they should be the first habit you re-think.

Allison