View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

This is an interesting article!
Certainly what jumps out at me is that we need to be very careful to keep our lowcarb wol as natural as possible.
My husband and I have a small hobby farm and we raise beef as well as our own laying hens. My husband also used to keep our freezer stocked with Moose and Deer meats. The first year we raised beef we did not get much weight (fat) on them. The meat was similar to wild game, but it tasted fantastic! The next year we grained the cattle as much as we could afford to and although we really beefed them up, the meat simply does not compare.
I cook up my roosters too and then bake and grind the meat for luncheon meat, and it has more taste than you can imagine.
I saw an article on tv a while back about grain fed livestock not having a certain (amino acid? I don't recall) and that grass fed have it and it helps to maintain humans insulin levels. I would like to find reference to that article again! My take is that we are creating insulin resistance in our animals as well with all the grain. I notice many people filling up on commercialfoods such as bacon and weiners and other prepared meats. Of course as the human population increases their is less room for free range animals to feed and certainly the introduction of grains has increased our world population of people. Those of us that so easily put on the weight come from a long line of survivors that should never had started eating grains, it is so damaging to our wonderful body chemistry.
I wanted to add my two cents anyway. I do not want to start babbling as I am just starting back to lowcarb and my brain fog has not quite cleared up Thanks for the article!