#42   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 09:48

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
Can you give a quote where Dr. Atkins actually said that calories do not matter or are you just repeating what you have heard? I suspect it is the latter since I don't think Dr. Atkins ever said that. What he said was that people can eat more calories and still lose weight on Atkins than on a low fat diet. This is caused both by the wasting of calories through the ejection from the body of incompletely burned ketones and also by the extra protein calories, which take more energy to prepare for use than does carbohydrate. In short, the laws of thermodynamics absolutely do apply but most dieticians don't understand them in terms of human nutrition.

Dr Atkins also said that protein and fat are more filling than carbohydrates so most people on his plan actually eat less calories.

Also, I have never seen a picture of Dr. Atkins in which I would describe him as a "fat guy." If you have any, feel free to post them along with the elusive "calories don't matter" quotes.

I am a newbie also, and may regret entering a debative zone just yet <LOL>. However, I have been researching low carb diets for a little while, and looked into the different plans before choosing one.

I agree with you. None of the plans I researched, including Atkins, suggested that you literally pig out on fatty foods, as well as the fatty foods being more filling and naturally provoking you to consume less calories. REASONABLE moderation of calorie/fat intake is recommended if one wants to lose weight.

Counting carbs and making sure the protein requirement is met is simply more important. Eating/cooking with high quality fats is good for building "good" HDL levels.

I am still in the first week of my plan, and I am not counting calories -- but I am mindful of what I am eating. I measure out my olive oil and butter, I don't smear my food with it. I am buying lean meat, etc.

My problem with Atkins is not the fat intake. I didn't choose this plan because I felt the 20 carb a day was a little harsh for what my body can handle considering my previously horrid eating habits.