View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 19:31

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just to make sure, you are wearing a properly-fitted helmet, elbow-pads and knee pads, right? The fear of falling isn't completely unreasonable.

Maybe if you tried going to a skating rink and took a single lesson it would help. First of all, they'll teach you how to fall properly. There are right ways and many wrong ways to fall. If you try to catch yourself by reaching your hand to the ground as you fall, you can break your wrist. If you fall backward and let your head whip back you can crack your skull on the pavement. Instead, if you're falling backward you want to reach your hands forward to save your wrists and take the impact on the butt (land so that you're sitting on your butt while leaning your head forward). I don't remember how to fall forward properly (on folded arms maybe?), but you should definitely find out before putting those wheels back on.

Secondly, a skating rink has hardwood floors. You won't get hurt as badly as you will on pavement. Maybe you could build some confidence in a rink before going back to the asphalt. You'll probably also find some helpful seven-year-olds there who can give you some pointers. In the summertime when it gets over 100 degrees, I head for the ice rink. There's always some little kid who skates up to me and wants to teach me better form.

Have fun with it!

Allison