#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 10:07

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Exclamation Rachael Ray trying to profit off low carb

I can't help it, I need to vent.

I'm a fan of 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray on Food Network, but ever since the New Year she's been airing "low carb" episodes NON STOP and I really want to hurt her!!! She has NO clue what low carb is and she is only hurting anyone who is considering it by misinforming them.

A few months back she made a few episodes for low carb that were very good (light on vegi's, but good nontheless). Now all the sudden she's using all these ingredients that we can't eat - not even maintenence!

Let's see... She made a PASTA dish for one and called it low carb! Maybe if she used whole wheat pasta I would be been okay, since you can have that in maint., but no.... it was regular pasta, she just used a little less of it... Ugh. Then she made a london broil, sounds good, eh? BUT she made a sauce that had almost a 1/4 cup of flour in it to thicken!! WHAT? In other show she made chicken cutlets coasted in hazelnuts, sounds good... But she coated every breast in a TON of flour first! There's a billion other things you can use besides flour to coat a chicken breast in, believe me. Then she made a fig and apricot gravy, which I suppose would be ok for Maint., until she added the 1/4 cup of flour again! There were other recipes, but my mind went blank (from all the rage).

Then she spends the entire episode saying, "I would never ever give up my carbs, I love bread, pasta and rice." yadda... yadda... yadda... She repeats this almost every 5 minutes! That's not helping anyone! What if someone just starting out on low carb listened to this and decided to quit because "Rachael Ray wouldn't do it." Unfortunately, a lot of people look up to her and as much as I hope it wouldn't change anyones outlook on low carb, I know it will.

It's just too bad she's only reinforcing all of the crap you hear about low carb. Her meals are mainly meat with tons of fat and you see very few vegetables in there, then to boot she adds flour, pasta and other illegal foods. *sigh* Oh Rachael, please don't try to be a low carb advocate. If you don't do it, don't preach it. PLEASE!!!

I'll step down from my soap box now...
Sponsored Links