View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 05:01

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, I think I could have saved a couple of bucks on the book. If you will go to the Atkins website and do a search on "night eating syndrome" you get 10 pages of links to articles on this very subject. I can see that I will need to do some internet research, but don't know if I'll ever really understand this thing. What I've gathered from the book (Overcoming Night Eating Syndrome) so far is that NES is actually a form of an eating disorder (although I don't think it has been officially classified as such), which can be hereditary or more often stress related. There is a quiz included in the book that helps us determine if we have this condition. Another condition is (I believe) called NS-RED, and this is more of a sleep disorder, characterized by sleepwalking to the kitchen at night, eating non-food items (such as buttered cigarettes or frozen or spoiled food), and having no recollection of it the next day. For me at least, I believe that I have NES and that it's probably stress related. I know just about when this all started, and it really was during a particularly stressful period. There is another part of me though, that really feels that this is a physical reaction, and blood sugar related. Usually, within an hour of going to sleep, I will wake up with a terrible weakness and craving--so weak in fact that I can barely make it to the kitchen to get something. If I'm aware enough, I can have a sip of diet cola, and will recover quickly. I've even experienced dropping the food (due to the weakness in my hands), and a couple of times I've fainted (I will say though, that I'm an "easy fainter", and have been for years). This also happens almost every single time that I doze off during the daytime. So--I guess my conclusion is that this is a complicated problem, I have lots of research to do, and that if I try to talk to my doctor about it, he's going to think I'm completely insane..