Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
I've found this interview with Dr.Ellis on the web and here is one abstract
Question: Do you consume any carbohydrates at all in your current regimen?
Answer:
The entire interview can be read in
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler11.htm
This agrees with Atkins concept, that some need to restrict carbs to 20g, while others can manage a bit more. So, except for calories management, I don't see such a big difference. It's absolutely true that we want to "feed the muscles and starve the fat" in order to get lean, so makes sense to estimate your caloric intake based on one's lean body mass.

For once Dina I actually agree with you. Look Satiev, Ellis has always tried to distance himself from Atkins publicly over this spurious calorie/ eat as much as you want issue because he wants to sell more of his books. It's also why all the other low carb Atkins imitators try to distance themselves from the basic Atkins low carb message. Atkins realized way back that if you restrict carbs, it is actually very difficult to overeat. If you don't restrict carbs you are almost certain to overeat. Which is probably why all the low calorie pundits are terrified of low carbing. It actually works, permanently. It's all about hunger. Carbs (IMHO any carb with a G.I. over 15 ) tend to make you unnaturally hungry. And if you dont eat any carbs you will have to eat all your meat raw to get the benefits that phyto-chemicals provide, or pop a whole lot of pills.
Ellis is a huckster, as are all the other also rans who preach low carb, but distance themselves from Atkins. Ellis is just a particularly unpleasant example.
But his book has plenty of good low carb biochemistry in it, so if you've already blown 60 bucks, don't be too upset. Just don't make the sad mistake of bagging the guy who said it all twenty years ago. And please don't trot out quotes from Atkins' '72 book which taken out of context seem to endorse gorging. Atkins, and before him and after him plenty of others, recognize that when you low carb and don't cheat (either inadvertently or deliberately - because IT was sooooooo tempting) it is just not appealing to gorge. That is the true Atkins message, low carb and 'all you can eat' tends to become ' what you need to eat for optimum health and /or steady weight loss.
Of course if you have a multimillion dollar publishing deal like say , Fergie, then pushing the same old low fat/cal line probably is actually worth the discomfort a lifetime of hunger will generate.
Actually the low calorie/fat mantra we have all been subject to has always seemed to me suspiciously like the 'no pain no gain' adage dressed up in dietary clothes. Even Ellis himself recognizes that hunger is an over time irresistible force. So it is truly pathetic that he goes on too preach calorie control as more important than carb control. To borrow another euphemism - When you look after the carbs, the calories will look after themselves.