#33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 17:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiev1
You keep saying this, but don't tell us how you come to the conclusion that Dr. Atkins was overweight. Please...enlighten us.

Well Lisa if you've read anything I've posted you can see what I am trying to say is that you can't eat as much as you want and be lean. Look at my first couple of post about how Atkins disregards calories. Well if you look at him then you can obviously see he is overweight. Oh not overweight according to who the body mass index. PLEASE. A 5 6 bodybuilder is overweight according to the body mass index. What is your definiiton of overweight. Obviously you and see overweight as something different. I consider a beer belly overweight something that Atkins has. 286 at the time of his death. Yes I know some of it was water but it still makes him overweight.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/2/10-133186.html

Dr. Atkins BMI the day after his accident was 26.4 and his weight was recorded at 195 pounds; just slightly above the lower end of the range of normal for a man of his age and height (72/6 feet tall). So...either he was a body builder which makes BMI unreliable or he was right in the range he should have been. His weight at the time of his death was 258 pounds which shows that during his hospital admission he gained 63 pounds of water weight, mostly likely due to IV fluids and drugs given to brain injury patients known to cause water retention.
If you want to compare the BMI of a 72 year old man to an 18 year old boy, feel free, but you would be grossly unfair in doing so since the standards are very different for each of those age groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiev1
Just agree with me that atkins dosen't acknowledge the role of calories in weight control.

I can't agree with that because he never said any such thing. He stressed over and over that those following the Atkins program should not pig out or gorge themselves on low carb food and states clearly in his book that while most people following his plan would not need to count calories, they do, in fact, matter. If those following the plan choose to ignore that, it's not the fault of the author.