View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 15:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
First of all atkins dosen't acknowledge the role of calories in weight reduction.

Really? Please point me to the specific page in Dr. Atkins book where he states that calories don't matter?
What he does say, in fact, are things like, "Eat until satisfied, but not stuffed" and "The metabolic advantage of low carb is not to be used as a license to gorge yourself."
Yes, Dr. Atkins said that most people wouldn't need to count calories (he never said that nobody should count calories) and the reason for that is that ketosis has a natural appetite suppressing effect. In fact, a lot of people have posted here that they find it difficult to eat enough because they simply aren't hungry.

Quote:
If calories didin't matter and the law of thermodynamics didn't hold true than everyone would be at 5 percent body fat when following the atkins plan.

I realize that you're a male, but please consider that a number (probably the majority) of those who are going to be reading this post are female and neither desire nor should attempt to reach a bodyfat percent of 5%. I think you might also benefit from reading some of the studies that compared diets and showed clearly that those on low carb can eat a higher (between 300-600 calories higher) level of calories and still lose more weight than the low calorie group. The laws of thermodynamics apply to closed systems which the body is not. They body is way more complicated than that. Energy cannot be destroyed, but it can be wasted.

Quote:
Why have so much faith in a fat guy like atkins. When atkins takes off his shirt and says look like me then i'll do what he does.

When you're 70+ years old and still playing tennis several days a week and walking to work/still working full time hours, I might consider your plan.
BTW...prior to his unfortunate fall after slipping on ice and subsequent brain injury, Atkins was not considered overweight for a man of his height and age (I'd really rather not see him at this point, no shirt or otherwise )

Quote:
Also I eat no carbs none at all.

Wow...none at all, huh? No healthy fruits or vegetables, no fiber, very monotonous. This is healthier than the Atkins plan which requires vegetables/fruits how? Personally, I'd rather eat my vitamins and get the benefits of the fiber and various antioxidants than take a fistful of pills and fiber supplements every day.

Good luck to you, but I think I'll stick with the version of low carb that I'm currently following.