View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 19:11

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%

nikotyme~

Although your questions sound like you are skeptical, I will happily answer any that you ask.

I believe the correct term is Protein Sparing Modified Fast. The key work is modified, a fast could be no food period which is not wise. In this case, the diet adds the very minimum amount of protein to keep you going.

Yes, I plan to use the diet as described until I am below my goal weight. I have lost 60+ pounds on this diet but that is the point that I blew it. Once I reached my goal weight, I began eating like I did when I was in my 20's and my metabolism was higher, and I exercised much more. Fast food, more than my caloric need, ect.

It is true that Atkins’ plan, not including induction allows more carbs. If I eat more than 10-15 grams of carbs a day, it blows me out of ketosis. I can get away with a cup of lettuce twice a day and maintain ketosis. However, both times that I was successful on this diet, I went protein only.

I have been off and on this diet for many, many years now. Atkin's said, "one bite is the kiss of death", and this is true for me. As a snack at work, I would eat some peanuts. Then I may grab a couple of chips, then realizing I was now way over my carb allowance, I would gorge on carbs knowing I had to start over. Or, I would do well on the diet all week, slip on Friday, and eat like a horse Saturday and Sunday.

So, my solution is NO carbs. The carbs I allow myself would be a teaspoon of ketchup on a ground beef patty, or some half n half in a Starbuck triple expresso.

It is reported, and it holds true for me, that after a few weeks the hunger goes away and the energy goes up. This does not mean that I can take a 15 mph bike ride for an hour. It is more like 12 mph for twenty minutes.

Is the diet changing ANYTHING about me other than my appearance, of course not. But as I said in my introduction post, I am so unhappy, I need to get all of the weight off now. I have picked the best time of year to start. And I have mentally prepared myself to keep the total protein to less than 15 ounces a day, the carbs to less than ten grams a day, and to not eat anything but meat, eggs, cheese, cream and butter.

The true diet, is 12 ounces of “lean” protein a day, no caffeine, and less than 10 grams of carbs. No sausage, no bacon, no brisket, no fajitas ect. No more than one egg a day and no more than 1-2 ounces of cheese a day.

Now, what I am supposed to do once I get below my goal weight is to start adding green leafy vegetables to my diet. A couple of salads a day as an example. Then I can add some fruit. If my weight is not climbing I can add some bread or pasta. But each type of carbohydrate is added over time, a few months would be best. This is where I learn how to eat and hopefully maintain my weight.

The reason I don't follow Atkin's plan is it does not work for me. I know at least two people at work who followed Atkin's and took in 35-40 grams of carbs a day and lost weight. That is GREAT and I am happy for them, as well as you. If it is working as you say, don't change anything