View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 06:00

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Year in review - what I have learned

Self-knowledge is of primary importance in the battle for weight-loss. In a fit of philosophical year-end musing, I came up with this highly personal list of things I now know about my biological and psychological self, that are helping me on the road to health. It has been a voyage of discovery for me. I have learnt so much from the members here and on other low-carb fora. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
I wish I had had access to this kind of information and support thirty years ago. But thats the way of life; wisdom comes with age, along with the sagging body parts and wrinkles

Your exerience or inner workings may be quite different from mine; it is knowing what works for you that is important.

So here is my list, in no particular order:

The importance of protein.
Whenever I dieted in the past, I focussed on calories without regard to the balance of macronutrients. I have always loved veggies. To lose weight I used to eat mostly vegetables, with very little protein, and hardly any fat. I thought this was healthy. I ended up losing lots of muscle, and that lowered my metabolism. When I re-gained the weight, I always had an increased body-fat percentage, so I looked worse at the same weight. Now I aim for 90-100 grams of protein a day.

The importance of micronutrients.
I used to get cracks around my mouth (lack of B6) and muscle cramps (elecrolyte loss, esp potassium) whenever I dieted in the past. Now I take my vitamins and minerals regularly.

The importance of exercise
My body likes to exercise in the morning. If I don't do it first thing, chances are I won't exercise at all that day. I love the increased energy I get from increasing my muscle strength and endurance; the buzz I get from feeling powerful affects my attitude to life. I spent 42 years on this planet avoiding exercise, and thinking I was not 'the athletic type' . If only they had taught weight-lifting for girls when I was at school, I might have spent less time being fat and feeling helpless.

What my trigger foods are
The things I can't eat or drink without spiralling out of control. I have to avoid them for evermore if I want to be normal weight and stay that way. I just label them 'poison', because having them in moderation is impossible for me.

The importance of keeping my blood sugar level steady
When faced with temptation, I think of the damage high blood glucose does to my body, and how cr*p I feel if I succumb. Getting into a BG/insulin rollercoaster is a nightmare I want to avoid.

Staying off the scales
I used to be a slave to the scales in my twenties. It ruled my life. Then I rebelled against its tyranny. If I get on the scales these days its because I know I've had a sizable loss, and want to quantify it. Otherwise, it just sends me into a depression, and that is a Bad Thing. Being depressed makes me turn to carby food for the seratonin feel-good boost it gives me. It also sets off the BG rollercoaster, and further depression. I can tell how I'm doing without getting on the scales.

Calories count for me
If I want to lose weight, I must count my calories very carefully.
I can maintain on low-carb without counting calories. This is a major breakthrough for me. My weight has been see-sawing for most of my adult life. I was either losing or gaining weight, but never did it stay steady for weeks or months at a time. But to move the scales lower, I have to keep the calories under 1500. That involves tracking every pat of butter, splash of cream, and nut kernel, as well as the meals. Forgetting to log a series of small items can easily add up to 200 calories per day, and thats is what stalls me.

Late-night snacking undoes a whole day on-plan
I can get to the evening and still be on plan. If I head to the fridge to reward myself for a good days work, even if I eat low-carb things, it takes me over my calorie limit and I don't lose.

I don't have the metabolism I had at twenty
Menopausal ladies like myself can't lose weight easily. It gets harder the older one is, but it can be done. Patience is the key. Being impatient means I think I'm failing when in fact I am winning. I just have to adjust my time-frame, and I'll get there.

neo_crone
Sponsored Links