#12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 14:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Post Not so - for me

LC = Low Seratonin = depression

was certainly not the case for me. I rebelled against all the anti-depressants many many years ago - that was my own personal decision. I am not recommending it to anyone who needs to be on medication.

Coping Mechanisms etc helped me a lot over the years but the almost "instantaneous" relief when I started LCing was brilliant. Yes, carbs definitely lift me up but they also bring me down just as sharply and the addiction was just as dangerous as any of the drugs I had spent years avoiding - I didn't know then that there was anything called carb-adiction. I blindly accepted a lot of mis-information propagated by the low-fat lobbyists as healthy eating.

Winter has always been my worst time. This Winter has been my first Winter since beginning LC and although I did get depressed I can honestly say it has been better than previous years.

{darhmabum: I still don't really sleep through the night . .} I don't even try anymore. Some of us were made to take short naps when we need them rather than conform to the accepted norm - rather like a baby does. A sweet picture of a friend's toddler with his head flopped into his dinner plate comes to mind. Babies take a nap when they need it, whereever they are and to hell with the dinner mummy thinks is more essential!! I find half an hour's laydown in the middle of the day is as important as lunch!

{sh'ra: Most times, low carb will actually help to lift depression, because, as PnP states, depression is not just caused by blood sugar, or by seratonin, or by beta endorphin; it is caused by an imbalance of all three.} Yes, that has been my experience. Balance is the key. Learning to be active followed by periods of rest and relaxation in just the right amounts. Keeping those scales from tipping in either direction is a continuous on-going journey.

{legodwin: I have responded beautifully to Atkin's and it has totally lifted the fog and slowness.} Isn't it brilliant? Me too. I only realised I had been in the fog after it lifted. As for the slowness ... I used to believe that I must be stupid, now I understand it was the carbs I was eating slowing me down. I do wish someone had been around me to BULLY me into LCing years ago!!

There is sooooo much more I could say on this subject but time for some exxxxxxxercise. That helps a lot!
Shalom Khavareim
Take care.