#6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/225/130
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Thick vegetable and meat soups. Cold beef, veal or ham? Shawarma? Meat balls?
I have seen and eaten amazing cold cuts in Amsterdam. I like the liver one, studded with chunks of fat, but understand that it is not to everyone's taste.
Karen

Hi Karen

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, I see you're already familiar with Dutch food, we do indeed have lots of cheeses and cold meats here (lucky I'm half mouse)

The cucumbers in sour cream and cabbage salad and quiche sound great, I'll try them.

I find that the prepacked meatballs and almost all prepacked sliced cooked meats do not give a carb amount, and whether or not they do, they all contain sugar, dextrose or some other "ose" in them or if not that, then they have tarwe or zetmeel (wheat and starch). Consequently I buy more ham than anything.

I like to make my own meatballs, but the one drawback is that the minced beef etc. is absolutely full of fat before you add anything, and I don't buy steak to make mince because all meat here is grossly expensive.

I have also avoided the thick soups because they can contain pulses and lots of veg which I thought wasn't allowed.

Q. Am I needlessly avoiding all these things? Because of the lack of info, I'm never sure whether the amount of sugar etc. in meat is negligable or not.

Reading back, I'm sorry if it looks as if I'm trying to pick holes in some of your suggestions but I'm not. I just have a lot of questions because I'm not sure of things.

Thanks for bearing with me ..
DutchGirl2