View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 06:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Mashed Cauliflower, Turnips & Rutabaga Casserole With Caramelized Onions

This is an adaptation of a recipe using potatoes, rutabaga and parsnips. I've also put in carrots for color and a potato or two for substance. I use what I have on hand. Very good casserole for the holidays.

Mashed Cauliflower, Turnips, & Rutabaga Casserole With Caramelized Onions

3 cans chicken broth
1 large head cauliflower, cut in chunks
4 c. turnips, cut in chunks
1 med. rutabaga, cut in chunks
8 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
3/4 c. butter (may not need that much but if we can have it... )
3 large onions, thinly sliced
salt & pepper

1. Combine broth, cauliflower, rutabagas, turnips, garlic, bay leaf and thyme in a large pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are very tender--anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on size of chunks. Drain (but save the broth for other uses such as "Italian Wedding Soup"--I think the recipe's on this site)

2. Transfer veggies to a large bowl, add 1/2 c. butter and mash to the consistency you like (I like it chunky). Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mashed veggies to a buttered 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking dish.

3. Melt remaining 1/4 c. butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions. Saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and saute until onions are tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spread onions evenly over mashed veggies. Casserole can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until heated through and top begins to crisp. Makes 8-10 servings.

I got the following when I entered this as written above into Fitday.com: Cals 1976; Fat 143; Carbs 157; Prot 43 (Very low carb when you divide these numbers by 8-10 unless I've done something wrong). This is really Add low-carb gravy and you're all set. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links