View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 15:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm totally against it for the same reasons others have stated. There shouldn't be a distinction between the controlled substances, IMHO - if you can't advertise morphine, you shouldn't be able to advertise ritalin.

Slightly off topic, but addresses the issue of advertising: I was involved in a discussion recently of the Listerine ad campaign where they say their product is 'clinically proven' to be as effective against gingivitis as flossing. The fine print says, "floss regularly." To paraphrase what this person said: "I don't floss because Listerine is just as good. Science proved it. The graphic on the ad even shows the mouthwash getting under the gums, so I'm not worried." Uh... hello... Pfizer cherry-picked a couple of studies that they funded, and all that can be concluded from those results is that Listerine was as effective at preventing gingivitis as flossing. It says nothing about cavities, peridontitis, halitosis and long term dental health. Yet this person concluded that there was no reason to floss anymore.

Technically, Pfizer isn't lying in their ad, but they obviously want you to draw the erroneous conclusion that this person drew. When this kind of misleading misinformation gets out about prescription drugs, it's even worse.