#5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 11:34

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammac-5

Although we all know it's best for patient care when patients are informed and able to fully participate in making decisions concerning their care, nothing is more a waste of time than having to convince a patient that the medication they saw on TV or in their favorite magazine is NOT right for them.

I agree. Commercial, informercials and the like can not by any stretch of the imagination be considered "information". Disinformation is more like it. As such they should not be aimed at consumers. And I guess the comparaison will sting a little, but just like commercials should not be aimed at children. Children do not have the capacity to evaluate the information directed at them. IN the same way, your average consumer does not have the required knowledge to separate fact from fiction when it comes to drug ads. As we well know, ads are not designed to inform but they are designed to push you into buying certain products, and they are often very clever at it as well. This is definitively not something you want when the product is potentially dangerous drugs.

Sometimes I feel the days of snake-oil salesmen are not over They just got more sophisticated at it.