View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 21:41

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it Karen; I don't have the new edition of Atkins.
Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
[It works both ways, too. In a forced-feeding study in a man's prison, it was found that naturally thin men could gain about 5 pounds on a high-calorie diet, but no more. This stayed true even when the calorie intake exceeded 10,000 per day ]
I am both horrified by this study and curious to know more. Can you give me a reference to it Razzle?

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
For those of us who have a lifetime of doing it wrong, we may well have to accept more moderate definitions of success.
Depressing thought. So there aren't people who tried low-fat over and over again, saw the light, made the switch and are now living thin, happily ever after? I guess I just assumed they exist.

What you're saying certainly rings true, though. I think my long history with low-fat diets has permanently slowed my metabolism. I've been taking my temperature throughout the day for a week and I never get above 97.5 degrees. I even tried taking a thermogenic twice today to see if it would have any effect. After a thermogenic, a cardio workout and a hot shower I was still below 97 degrees. I think I've been tested for hypothyroidism in the past with negative results.

How about if we don't yo-yo Atkins, if we just stick with it? Can we recover?

Most importantly: Am I making things worse by eating 40 gms. carb one day and 15 the next? Must I make it perfectly even all the time?

Allison