#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 13:14

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default eat like a dog

I have just fed the dog.

He is very fit and healthy and just loves his food, mind you he is a golden retreiver and they are prone to gaze up into the sky as if doughnuts will magically descend from the clouds. Basically they will eat all foods known to man and beast and whatever you give them.

But as it is now an automatic reflex to look at the labels I made the dog wait while I read and surprise surprise its high protein low carb. Dogs will thrive on raw meat alone. I feed our dog a dry dog food and water and the only reason it is bulked out with maize, wheat etc is cost. A raw egg (shell included) does wonders for their coats.

Dogs get fat if they are fed a lot of biscuits. Chocolate does not do them any good at all. Mind your our first retreiver managed one Halloween to eat a whole bowl of hershey's kisses put out for the trick or treaters, silver paper and all! Off to the vet for an emetic quick.

But back to the dog food label. Main ingredient chicken then
maize, wheat, animal fat, fish meal, barley,sorgum,poultry meal,dried beet pulp,dried whole egg, chicken digest, brewers dried yeast, linseed,sodium chloride, DL-methione, potassium chloride.

I am not about to eat it myself but nothing there would kill me.

Dogs do not get fat all by themselves, only if we overfeed them. They will eat everything and I mean everything that you give them. They will eat disgustingly quickly and the food hardly touches the side. Occasionally our dog has been fed twice by different members of the household by mistake. Second helpings like the first straight down. Cats on the other hand seem to take their time and even leave bits for later.

You can starve a dog for a day and it will come to no harm. Its metabolism is designed to cope with famine and feast.High protein does not suppress their appetite. It is best practice to feed just once a day.

There is no Fitday for dogs but the analysis is on the label

30% protein 20% oils and fats 10% moisture 2.5%fibre 7.5% ash 1.2% calcium 1% phospherous. Then vitamins A,D,E plus copper and beta carotene.

No sugar! the carbs are not stated but I estimate them to be about 20%

So from now on, in our way of eating, it is perfectly legitimate to eat like a dog!
Sponsored Links