View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 12:01

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

there's no way I know to correct it OR the lowered BMR from low-cal dieting. I'm sure the trials that might work for anyone else might not work for the next person. I've tried nearly everything I can think of--upping calories and gritting my teeth through the weight gain, going paleo, a CKD (actually worse in weight gain than anything else I tried), eliminating potential allergen LC foods one at a time, exercising everywhere from 30 to 150 minutes per day, focusing those hours on weights, focusing on cardio, slow cardio, hard cardio; I've had my doc test for T4, T3, DHEA, blah blah blah blah, looking for a mechanistic solution. All I have to show for it is shorter teeth (from the frustrated grinding )

I've concluded that the only "solution" is: accept a slow loss and learn the lesson that diets don't work. They are known to cause worse obesity along with a host of ailments. Treating LC as a diet will also render it ineffective for many people. If you have the genetic predisposition to it (hint you might: childhood onset of obesity), every time you go off, you're consigning yourself to a slower loss and higher final weight. All you can do is permanently change your lifestyle--eating and movement and attitude--and accept the rate of loss and the final weight you balance out to. There's no good data about the long term effects of this "WOE" approach, either--it's possible the body would even adapt to this moderate approach and regain to set point weight eventually. We'll have to be the experimental lab rats for that!

For yo-yo dieters in particular, if you start out at 300 (to choose some random numbers), you may not ever lose below 200--but if you can maintain 200 forever, be able to now physically do what you couldn't, lower your BP and cholesterol, celebrate! If my current weight is the lowest weight I can reach, eating and exercising healthily, I want to take it with grace and cheer. Don't get fixated on not looking like a fitness model. If you had the genetics for that, you'd look like that eating hot fudge sundaes twice a week. (an act that would stall the typical hyperinsulimic forever)

someone here--LC sponge, I think--did it right. One shot, no history of yo-yo dieting, took her 20 months to lose a moderate amount of weight, she's still staying with maintenance. For those of us who have a lifetime of doing it wrong, we may well have to accept more moderate definitions of success.

whenever I post a realistic view, I keep thinking about how unsucessful it would be as a diet book--lol--we want to hear the magic solution exists, and it really may not for all of us.