#8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 22:01
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

Dr. Schwarzbein doesn't like the Armour because the T3 and T4 are in fixed amounts.

Hi Phyllis!

I noticed this awhile back when I was going through my SP book and I was disappointed that she didn't expand on her reasoning. So this is the way I interpreted it.

I think she doesn't believe in Armour by itself *IF* it means your FT3 and FT4 levels are out of whack. For instance, I started on natural thyroid, but had to supplement with Synthroid as well to correct a lowered T4 level. She wants people to supplement hormones in the same amount that we make them and Armour isn't identical to human thyroid. That's the one criticism.

That's my guess. It's odd she picked on Armour when Synthroid alone is even worse. So to summarize, I personally don't think you have to stay away from "Armour" per se, but check your blood tests and make sure that your FT3 and FT4 levels are properly regulated. You could use a combination of T3 and T4 but you'd be missing out on the other thyroids that are included in Armour. It's funny she didn't address this latter point. IMO, I think including Armour would be more natural, adjusting your T4 levels as needed.

..... unless there's something I don't know about the hormonal rythms of T3 and T4 where they surge at different times of the day. Someone more knowledgeable about thyroid would be better able to answer that.

Wanda