#11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 268/198/205
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Vanity

I must admit, I've never spent this much time on a computer in a forum like this.

You know Razzle, I've posted a few strong sentiments in this forum and the feedback seems like - well, a little bit of self defence is the best way I can put it. Its everywhere. I'm not out to criticize anyone. That's not it. But why do you say "I would discourage people from vanity?" That's not really the subject of my post, that's not it at all.

Its about the continued rationalization that seems to me to be the cause of most people's problems. Why should people work on "Fat Acceptance"? Would you say that to an alcoholic? A drug user?

I agree with you whole heartedly that you have to set realistic goals, but as soon as you set the standard too low, as soon as you start to rationalize appearance by "the impossible beauty goal" I think you lose out and your not facing the problem head on. Its tough, very tough. I've been there. A lot of people in North America are overweight - they don't all have medical problems. I still am a little overweight. I may never get to where the charts tell me I should be. But I think its worth the try, I think its very good to try and "look good" - because its really about being healthy. If vanity does it, so be it. Its the end game, the end game.