#6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 04:06
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 230/189/185 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Bernstein

I have experimented for the past three years with low carb diets (experiment is my preferred term, others less charitable call it cheating). There is no doubt that for me, low carbohydrate diets work for my blood sugar control. Any return to high carbohydrate meals sees a weight gain and foot pain.

Your goal for blood sugar levels should be to as close to those of non-diabetics as possible. Generally, that means in a perfect world, you'd like to be under 100. Most will probably not get that low all of the time, but the closer you are to that level, the better.

Three and a half years ago, I had fasting blood sugars as high as 300, I tried several drugs to lower them, glucovance worked for me, but I worried about the long term effect of the drug. Diet and exercise with weight loss allowed me to discontinue the medicine, and my blood sugar levels have been maintained well since.

Here is how I decided to wean myself from blood glucose lowering drugs:
Each morning I took my fasting blood sugar, if it was above 126, I took my regular dosage. If it was below, I'd skip it. In the beginning I was taking medication every other day, then it began to be just once every three or four days, and so on.

When taking glucovance, I did experience several episodes of hypoglycemia, have never experienced an episode in the last 3 years when I haven't used any medications.

Good luck. Don't let the low carb bashers dampen your confidence. Read Bernstein's book if you haven't already. You are on the right course.