View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 20:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

SeaDog, I think you've got the right idea with educating yourself as much as possible about your disease. Doctors are there to work with us as our partners, but when it comes down to the daily management of your blood sugars, you are the one who has to put the plan into action and do the difficult work and you are the one who will have to live with the results.
IMHO, the ADA diet is a prescription for lifetime dependence on drugs and worsening blood sugars and should be avoided at all costs. Been there, done that, wound up with out of control blood sugars.

Quote:
When I mentioned to him that I didn't think I could reach my goal sugar level of under 110 average by diet alone, he told me that I most likely wouldn't be able to lower it any lower than my current average. He said that 130-140 average for a diabetic is better than most.

Your doctor is telling you the truth in that your blood sugar readings are better than most, but that's only because most are following the ADA diet and you are not. Please don't let them tell you that diabetics need high levels of carbs...it's utter BS. I've been living on an average of 30 grams of carb per day for over 3 years and my doctor continues to be impressed with my readings every time I come in.
As far as you've come, I believe that you will be able to achieve your target ranges. You may need medication to achieve that, you may not. Time will tell. Something to consider in helping you achieve that is a daily exercise regimen if you aren't doing so already. Excercise helps tremendously in lowering blood sugars and is good for you in a lot of other respects as well. Walking and weight resistance training are both good choices.

Quote:
I also have been having almost daily pain in my feet, sometime a burning, ache almost cold feeling, and other times sharp pain like I stepped on a nail or something. My doctor said that my feet look fine. My diabetic father told me that this is neuropathy and he takes medication for it. Is it common for this to go away if I get my diet/lifestye in order is this type of thing usually permanant?

The pain in your feet is likely diabetic neuropathy which isn't too surprising given how high your fasting blood sugars were when you were diagnosed. It may get better as you achieve and maintain normal blood sugars and in fact many have reported that it does. I think a lot will depend on how far it has progressed, but you can hope for the best. Bringing your blood sugars into normal range and keeping them there can only help.