View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 19:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 322/272/220 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for the quick responses

Thanks for the info, I'm going out to get the bernstein book tomorrow to check it out. When I was first diagnosed I did pick up the Schwarzbein book and I also have a copy of the regular aitkens book. My bad cholesterol stayed exactly the same by the way.

You guys are confirming my suspicion that my doctor is probably not too skilled with diabetic conditions. When I mentioned to him that I didn't think I could reach my goal sugar level of under 110 average by diet alone, he told me that I most likely wouldn't be able to lower it any lower than my current average. He said that 130-140 average for a diabetic is better than most. He also didn't like the idea that I was limiting my carbs with aitkens or the schwarzbein book, and referred me to some hospital run class based on the ada type diet.

I also have been having almost daily pain in my feet, sometime a burning, ache almost cold feeling, and other times sharp pain like I stepped on a nail or something. My doctor said that my feet look fine. My diabetic father told me that this is neuropathy and he takes medication for it. Is it common for this to go away if I get my diet/lifestye in order is this type of thing usually permanant?
I'm sorry for all the questions, but I've been getting most of my information from books and the web. My father doesn't control his diabetes very well and doesn't seem to care, so he's not much help in the advice department (he's starting to take my diet advice since his a1c showed he averaged over 300 for the last few months and is close to hospitalization). Since I have a young family to take care of I feel compelled to get my act together so I can be around for awhile. I also feel kinda stupid for letting my heath go since I was aware of my genetic risks and I probably could have prevented this from the start. Thanks again for the advice.