View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 09:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi SeaDog and welcome to the forum!

You've got lots of questions, I see. I'll try to address as many of them as I can and I'm sure other members will share their experiences with you as well.

Quote:
Will atkins induction be ok for someone that is diabetic, and is a 16 or so rise in cholesterol a big deal for someone just starting on a low carb diet?

Atkins Induction should be okay for a type 2 diabetic such as yourself, but you may want to check out some other plans and do some research to decide what the best course of action and plan for you will be. Picking a plan that is both effective and something that you can live with long-term is important. Some suggestions:
-The Schwarzbein Principle (both 1 and 2) which seems close to what you're already doing.
-Dr. Atkins newest book on low carb for diabetics
-Protein Power
-Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (also low carb for diabetics)

Regarding the rise in cholesterol, that sometimes happens when weight loss is fairly rapid but it then settles down when weight loss slows. You mentioned that your triglycerides went way down but your LDL went up, what happened with the HDL? If that also went up, your reading is actually much improved, not worse. Something else to consider is that elevated cholesterol readings seem to go hand in hand with diabetes. For now, I would suggest focusing on your blood sugars and see what the next check shows and make a decision from there.

Quote:
I'm averaging, by my meter aroung 130, and my first a1c after being diagnosed was 6.7 (is this good?).

That's an awesome improvement in such a short time , but you're not quite "there" yet. Ideally, your A1c should be at 6 or lower (closer to 5 is great) and your average blood sugar readings should be lower as well. Fastings should be <100 and post meal readings should be <120.

Check out some of the references I listed and feel free to ask all the questions you want. If you like, you can read some of Dr. Bernstein's book online at www.diabetes-normalsugars.com