View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:22

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

It is clear, from all the above, that the members here are erudite, intelligent and eloquent people, who shine out against the uninformed orthodoxy which permits the continued publication of ill-informed and irrational propoganda such as the article quoted.

And yet, I know from my own experiences in the UK just how hard it is to publish against the orthodoxy. Our point of view is seen as a kind of heresy, in which the medical establishment can expound its improbable and frankly laughable explanation for obesity, weight loss and all related issues, and anyone else with a different viewpoint is forbidden to publish it. We have here a doctrine of "You can publish any view you like, as long as it's the official one". Newspapers employ medical doctors to vet all articles on health or health-related issues, and any articles disputing or disproving the official position are refused, on medical advice, by the editors.

Quite how the medical profession came to have such a stranglehold on the press, and why they should so fear the truth coming out still baffles me. Maybe there is the political force of big agricultural business, or maybe the manufacturers of refined white flour and sugar are more influential than the truth, who knows? It just saddens me that thirty years after Atkins' first book was published, we still have to swallow such blatantly partisan and inaccurate press coverage of a subject which collectively we here know far more about than the authors of these influential articles do.

What is the possibility of countering with a low-carb magazine, I wonder?

Andy