#10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Let me make a disclaimer here. I'm not trying to give anyone advice on how to move forward with their diet. I'm just saying what has worked for me, and was trying to provide some clarification on a couple of issues based on the limited research I've done.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.... you said this, though, so I did get the idea you were being severely skeptical:
Quote:
but I believe some of their posts may be a bit misleading... They're making reference to sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners as a reason to discourage someone from using the Atkins bars ... You seem to be making an assertion that Glycerin could impact a persons blood sugar level? For all I know, you're right. If you actually have evidence along these lines please let me know.

An earlier post in this very thread:
Quote:
The article on this site, under Low Carb Tips called, strangly enough, Sugar Alcohols explains that after eating something made with SA, diabetics will often register a rise in blood glucose similar to that when the real thing is ingested
would make a good read for you. Articles here are researched and supported by references and experience, so this may be more useful for you. Also, have a good rummage through the Diabetes forum. It's all there for you to read at your leisure so I won't repeat it here. There are many many discussions ranging back over the last year where people will individually testify (and these folks use blood glucose monitors, much of the time) as to their own responses to sugar alcohols, polyols and other manufactured "semi-carbs". More reading for you.

The point is, it depends on the individual's metabolism, so accurate information on the label without any built-in assumptions or generalities is VERY important.

Quote:
is glycerol and glycerin the same thing?

Yes. Glycerol / Glycerine / Glycerin are minor variations

Quote:
Regardless, we still don't have enough information to definitively determine what part of the 110 calories or unspecified origin are glycerin and which are polydextrose... And at this point, I'm still not sure that I'm concerned either way.

Well, since you asked and despite your concern (or not), it simply doesn't matter unless you're allergic or it's a carcinogen, as you say... calculating effective carbohydrate count from unaccounted-for calories gives one as close to a true (blood sugars* affecting) count as possible given the information.

* note I don't say blood GLUCOSE here.... there is research out there that infers (and no, I can't remember where I read it right now) that glycolisation, damage caused by glucose, is not the only 'sugars oxidation' that occurs, but is the only one that is tested for...