#15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 16:31

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default more on Somersweet

Hi, gang...

Before I decided to do give Atkins a go, I did a few weeks of Suzanne Somers' program. I actually enjoyed it, but didn't lose (or gain) a pound. Might make an excellent maintenance program for me. Anyway, I ordered some of the Somersweet from Suzanne's website (she has an LC forum that you might want to check out). I don't know how it is going to impact my weight loss, but to me, it tastes pretty much like a standard AS. (like Splenda or Nutrisweet). And yes, it does caramelize. She has a recipe for creme brulee that her followers rave about. (I haven't tried it -- not the most adventurous cook!)

I'm still using a little of the Somersweet because I have it and it's easy, but unless you want to caramelize something, Splenda is probably just as good (or bad, as the case may be). If you read some of the forum comments about Somersweet, you'll see that the product causes a lot of people to get crampy, gassy pains. I've had no such reaction. As I said, the product seemed very average to me. It aint sugar, that's for sure -- probably just as well -- I'd eat tons of it!

I think common sense should rule here. The product is listed as zero cals (in a small serving) and if used prudently, it probably wouldn't screw up weight loss, but if you dump tons of it in your foods-- which could happen if you're making desserts--there may be problems.

Also, FWIW, I've read about a lot of people having trouble with receiving the Somersweet they ordered. Again, I was lucky and got mine without any problem. The product is also very pricy.

OK, that's more than you ever wanted to know about AS!!
As I said, I'm a newbie, so if you have time, check out my journal (under the J's).

Chat with you soon!