#8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
The Atkins bar package doesn't say what percent of the 29g of unaccounted for carbs are glycerin (which I definitely feel won't have any impact on your blood sugar) and what percent of it is Polydextrose (which I'm less sure about), but if my research is correct I doubt ingesting Polydextrose is anything to be concerned about... (Unless it turns out to be a carcinogen.)

Firstly, the point being made is that while the glycerin may not have an effect on YOUR blood sugar, Victor, it definitely does have an affect on the blood sugar of many others. Therein lies the danger of such a general statement (and messing with the Nutrition Facts label within the labelling regulations). One size does NOT fit all and that's why there ARE regulations.

Secondly, there is another safety involved that will give the true effective carbohydrate count, the Calories. Because whatever the illegally altered Nutrition Facts label might say about legal carbohydrates, the Calorie count (if the manufacturer has done its job correctly) includes the correct amount of calories, including the 1 Cal per Gram for polydextrose, or the 4.36 Cals per Gram for glycerol. The Hidden Carb calculations are designed to unearth just this information, the true Effective Carbohydrate count.