View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 20:32

Plan: tkd
Stats: 150/146.5/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm glad you asked this question, because I would like to share my recent experience with you and also get some feedback from others as to what I should do.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 weeks ago. My testosterone was very high, my LH and FSH levels were 4 to 1, and my progesterone was 1.2 and the doc told me I don't ovulate. She prescribed Clomid and sent me on. I wasn't happy with my GYN because she didn't address insulin resistance so I set an appointment with an endocrinologist for about 4 weeks later.

I began low to no carbing. I ate lean meats, good fats, veggies, protein bars and anything else very low in carbs.

Right before I went for the visit (about 3.5 weeks after low carbing), I revisited my GYN and had them take a progesterone test again (just to be sure I don't ovulate). My progesterone showed that it had risen to 12.9 which is normal.

A few days later I saw the endo. She looked at all my previous testing. She prescribed Glucophage but also did another testosterone test (as well as IR test). I found out today that my testosterone is perfectly normal. It is 36 and the normal range is 26 to 70.

So all this to say, that after 4-5 weeks of low carbing, not only do I feel better and don't have blood sugar swings, but two of the 3 tests they used to diagnose me are now perfectly normal. By the way, I have never shown up as insulin resistant on the lab work ( I don't put much thought into this because I have learned that with PCOS the IR test may show negative even though you are.) It is very hard to detect, so many go by the IR symptoms instead of the paperwork. I am going to have my FH/FSH retested next week to see if that has improved. I'll keep you posted.

I have decided not to take the meds right now and see if I can sustain these good results through diet and exersise.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any opinion on not taking the meds?