View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 20:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/187/160 Male 5'9"
BF:More/ than I /like
Progress: 59%

I'm fortunate I guess in that my GF's parents are extremely supportive (they'd been bugging me for years about her weight) and delighted that we are doing ANYTHING to get her to loose. (she had a start weight of 396, has lost 18lbs in 4 wks ) of course they don't know WHY she decided it was time to loose (we're afraid they'll try to talk her out of attempting the kid thing with me) In fact I haven't really encountered anyone that isn't supportive, though many don't understand the LC WOL.

Over on Low Carb Pavilion, I found a nice reasonably short generic description of what LC diets are based on, what foods are and aren't OK, etc. It wasn't specific to any standard plan (I think it was that sites own plan) but I think it would serve all but the Paleo types reasonably well, and can be tailored to fit any particular plan and where one is at on it. I swiped the text (with credit) and stuck it in an e-mail that I send to anyone I think might be worth telling.

OTOH, what I'm not so sure about is how to reconcile the diets when we eat meals like Thanksgiving / Xmas, etc. with the GF's parents. They are on the fairly traditional 'cholesterol limiting' low fat / high carb diet (which does work for them, they keep within their limits) and I'm not sure how to mix that with the LC / high fat diet that we are on.

My guess is that the turkey w/o stuffing is OK, and we can bring some LC deserts (or skip them) but where do we get the fat? Should we just bring something high in fat content and do that on the side?

If so, any particular suggestions?

Gooserider