#11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 10:34

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
One thing that jumping back and forth between carbs and fats as primary energy source might do, is to keep you from metabolizing the fats efficiently. The long-term response of increased enzyme production might never kick in if you keep your body thinking it is going back to carbs as the energy source. This may keep the "metabolic advantage" at its maximum.

I completely agree with this. I've stayed very strict for a long time because it's done such wonders for my health, but I have noticed a few things:
-I have to watch calories now to lose weight, and keep them at a similar range that I used to aim for on low-fat,
-I have lost the "Atkin's breath", that ketone smell in general, I just don't seem to be excreting them all over the place like I did when I first started.

So I suspect that after 2 years my body has become extremely efficient at burning fats and that I have lost any "metabolic advantage" I used to have. I don't mind terribly, but if weightloss was my primary goal I would definitely feel a lot more frustrated. I'd like to lose faster but I haven't tried carb cycling because I'm worried about the effects of jerking my insulin levels up and down periodically.