Thread: The FAD thing
View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-00, 20:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi, Wa'il. Interesting idea, and I'm sure we can refute most of the points you listed. Maybe the project will give us some ammunition to use against those "are you on that crazy diet" people we run into every day.

Unfortunately, I suspect that even the most closely-reasoned arguments won't work against someone who's already got their mind made up! Most people aren't interested in thinking beyond what they're told by the "experts." And in these people's opinion, the "experts" don't include us!

On a more philosophical note . . . what is a fad, anyway? As far as I can see, a fad is something - anything, probably - that's not (yet) accepted by the powers-that-be. Women wearing trousers was a fad. Rock music was a fad. Most (all?) of the world's major religions were once fads. As soon as things get accepted by the majority, they stop being fads and start being "the way things are."

When low-carb catches on among the general public, and when the so-called "experts" accept it, it won't be a fad any more. In the meantime, we'll probably have to live with the flack.

My humble opinion.

Rachel