Thread: So bummed out!
View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 08:11

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

i've got gallstones too but I suspect it was the previous 10 years of abuse that kicked them off and anyway, who needs a gallbladder!!

I have been scouring the net for anything to do with diabetes, glycaemic and insulin indices and I can tell you that most of the 'diabetic' information on the web via the supposed experts is just rubbish. I have only found one bit of research that tends to suggest that low carbing may not be good for diabetics, outside of that, there are just pages and pages of OPINION ... Did you know that psychologically speaking - 70% of people will believe what you tell them! Thus if you say it often enough, everybody believes it and they accept it as gospel, often not even giving passing consideration to the logic of the thing. A so called expert pronounces his opinion, it is rewritten and rehashed all over the place and before you know it, its gospel.

I think the book rainny is talking about is the Dr Bernstein one? I read the chapters available on the web and it is so obviously true besides echoing the findings of various others such as Atkins & the Eades.

From what I can gather, four things will help in managing diabetes - lowering overall carbohydrate load (gms of carbs), trying to eat carbohydrates with a low or very low, GI (although the jury is still a little out on this) weight loss and exercise. Apparently one session of exercise can favourably influence your blood sugar for up to 24 hours!!

Stick with it. My husband works with a young guy who has type I diabetes who is slowly killing himself. He really believes that by eating all these corn bread and other major carbs that he is doing the right thing because thats what the ADA says to do. Meanwhile he keels over at work, walks into things and his eyesight is now failing. Its so sad and so unnescesary.

As to your sister, you know what they say - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....in my experience, there are few people more blinkered than the medical establishment (sorry Doreen) and having 2 in the family, I can say this!

Nicola