View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 09:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%

I'd think that the risks involved w/this type of surgery would make this boy and his parents want to try many different diets before electing the surgery, just make sure there were no other options. (I can't tell from the article if they did this or not...) Anyway, a good friend of mine recently had gastric bypass surgery and her insurance company made her go on a diet (not sure what kind but I think it was lower carb) for 6 months just to make sure that there really was no other way. I guess she just didn't lose enough weight, so they went ahead with the operation.
Basically, I just don't think people are aware of the risks and consequenses of this procedure. I read somewhere that the risk of fatal complications is 1 in 200! If this is accurate, the risk would be too high for me to consider the operation, nor would I want a family member to undergo it.
Some of the previous posts expressed doubts about the boys ability to stay on a low carb diet, even though it would help him. The fact is, after the operation, he will be FORCED to diet. People who have had this surgery tell me that when they overeat, they experience unbelievable stomache cramps, even chest pain and profuse sweating. That can't be healthy! I suppose after overeating a few times, they learn not to do it again. But wouldn't it be better to learn not to overeat on your own, gradually, through diet, than to force your body to give you extreme signals?
I have learned the hard way that eating too much sugar free candy is a bad thing. But I'm glad that if I happen to do it again, I probably won't experience symptoms of a heart attack, just mild cramps and...well I won't be gross. lol