View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 21:05

Plan: tkd
Stats: 150/146.5/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

I found it! Here is the quote I was beginning to think I dreamt up. Built wrote this is the NHE overview thread. This is the reason I questioned myself about staying in ketosis. I don't want any form of increased IR if I come out of ketosis. The reason Built gives for being in ketosis the entire time for the bulking version of NHE makes complete sense. Apparantly since your body has had very low or no insulin present in its system, there is an increased rush of insulin after injesting carbs which causes a bulking effect and I would think increases muscle development. It seems kind of like what your body does after starvation or cutting calories too low. When you finally put food in your system it stores absolutely everything since it was deprived.

This explanation was in response to another member wondering why the bulking phase is a ketogenic type diet and the cutting phase is not ketogenic

Built's explanation below:

"I believe it has to do with the insulin resistance that follows a period of keto dieting that stimulates the GH and test response for the bulking phase.

For the cutting phase, the generally low carbs keep insulin and glucagon primed for fat burning. The carb load meal is to refuel glycogen, and to prevent the decline in thyroid associated with dieting.

While these responses are true for BOTH versions of NHE, in the bulking phase, fat burning is sub-optimal to allow for optimal anabolic response, while in the cutting phase, the reverse is true."

Jagbender---I think I'm going to take your advise and try NHE. Apparently ketosis may not be a good thing in the long run for someone already IR. How are you measuring your results......scale, bf%, tape measure or all. What are your results?