Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 235/193/128
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default To Coffee or Not to Coffee...

Hi John

Thanks for your comments.

After I posted yesterday, I decided to do a search on the Web and came up with lots of info on Cafestol and Caffeine. The Cafestol information was interesting, as in one area (LDL cholesterol) it increases the blood serum level, but in another (Lipoprotein(a)), it appears to reduce the blood serum level! (which is a good thing as an increased level of Lp(a) has been shown to be an independent indicator for an increased likelihood of developing heart disease).

As far as caffeine goes, there was a lot of information but not much factual stuff to say how or why or whether it actually does have an impact on insulin levels.

The studies always talked about studies of people's past histories of coffee drinking, ie: one study was of 1040 men over 44 years and there must be an amazing number of other variables involved there. Did they have sugar, milk, etc in coffee and what about all the other foods, exercise etc over that time - not definitive enough for me I'm afraid.

In this study the results showed that before 1975 there was a geater liklihood of developing heart disease among the coffee drinkers, but after that there seemed to be no greater risk than non-coffee drinkers. On this one they speculated that drip filter coffee makers came in around then and made caused the difference. I don't know about you, but it all seems a bit "airy fairy" to me.

One thing though, instant coffee doesn't have cafestol, and decaf instant coffee doesn't have cafestol or caffeine, so we should be reasonably safe - except for those carbs you mentioned! Didn't know that, so will start counting them!

As you suggested, I will just cut coffee for a week or two and see if it makes a difference. Like you, too much makes me jittery - hence the move to decaf.

Anyway, it looks as though it is fairly safe to have the occasional cappucino or espresso and stick to a reduced amount of decaf instant the rest of the time.

Bye now

Gemma