View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 16:06

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default my 2 cents

I think that by low carbing, I am eliminating my ADDICTION!!! In many, many a post, Karen has addressed the issue of emotional eating and our addiction to food. I think that carbs and SUGAR are the #1 addictive ingredient. Part of this whole journey for me is breaking the cycle.
I found this article to be very informative...

After Eating, Blood Flow to Brain Is Different for Obese and Lean Women

Obese women and lean women have different brain responses after eating a meal, say researchers from the National Institutes of Health.

In a study published in a recent issue of Obesity Research, scientists reported that obese women had greater blood flow to certain areas of the brain after ingesting a meal. Ten lean women and 12 obese women fasted for 36 hours and then consumed a liquid meal. Using magnetic resonance imaging and other imaging tests, the blood flow to various regions of the women’s brains was measured.

Once they were satisfied after eating the liquid meal, both lean and obese women experienced increased blood flow to the prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain directly behind the eyes. When compared to lean women, obese women had increased blood flow to a different part of the prefrontal cortex and greater decreases in blood flow to paralimbic areas (the area of the brain associated with emotion, mood and memory) and in areas of the frontal and temporal cortex (the area of the brain that helps to direct behavior). These differences in blood flow to the brain may affect when obese women feel full after eating.

Sources: Gautier JF, Del Parigi A, Chen K, Salbe AD, Bandy D, Pratley RE, Ravussin E, Reiman EM, Tataranni PA. Effect of Satiation on Brain Activity in Obese and Lean Women. Obesity Research 2001 Nov;9(11):676-684

article

AND I must say, I totally agree w/ Nat, Sylvie and Wa'il.

Regards,
Bren