View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 14:26

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Question Is it true?

Perhaps I am having one of those days of doubt.
Perhaps reading too much stuff.
Perhaps wondering about the science of Low Carb and not the results.
Perhaps Because my weight loss has slowed to a crawl.
Perhaps worried about my brother who is going in for colon surgery today and the "unbalanced" nature of my new diet. Perhaps I am not convinced by the supplement arguments and am looking for more natural nutrients. (You cannot get phytochemicals in a pill). I was amazed at the supplements thread.
Perhaps wondering why, after 30 years since Atkins first published, that their are not millions of success stories that could dispell the doubts and would demonstrate that this really is a sustaining way of life.

There are many successes on this site but most other diets have their successes too.

So is it true that ALL ingested foods will stimulate insulin and that carbohydrate may not be the big bogey man in the equation?

Can we escape from the reality that fat will only be stored if too much food (from any source) is eaten? ( e.g. too much protein will make you fat as well).

Is it true that the body actually burns some calories in order to turn carbohydrate into fat?

Is it true that extra fat calories on the other hand can be immediately turned into fat?

Is Low carb just low calorie dressed up a bit?

Weight, obesity, fatness, is such a complex issue.
It is calories for sure but it is also genetics, social issues, peer group pressure, medical, metabolism, and pyschological issues.

The many posts on this site show that the women seeking support do show their emotions in their writings and journals. The men, like me, are more factual, matter of fact and are happier with data, evidence etc. I am not into journal writing and I do not think that I neccessarily need a mentor.

The support I think I need, (you can maybe tell I am having a little motivation crisis) is not of the sort of. ....Wow you have done so well...Don't give up now..etc. It is not stroking or Mr. Motivator sort of stuff. It needs to be at the intelectual level, the evidential level, the cast iron certainty level.

Having reviewed what I have written above I am not even sure I will push the "post" button. I am almost answering my own questions. It is not as if low carb is a religion and is a matter of belief. The WOL thing does seem to overplay the bodily function of eating. It perhaps does not matter if the Science is a load of whoey and someone will say April fool.

The reality is:
Do I feel better than three months ago...yes. Have I lost weight and inches...definitely. Has my BP come down....undoubtedly. Do I exercise more?.... I certainly do.

Is it true that I will continue with low carb?........I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links