Thread: Need an opinion
View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 09:47

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

pjm, my experience is any high carb food--even a couple bites of someone else's baked potato or one Hershey's miniature--will throw me out of ketosis for three days. I can't swear that would happen for you, but if it does 'just two' cheats a week would mean no ketosis ever, which would mean that the only way you could lose weight would be by traditional calorie burning. So if you're eating typical LC calories, sure, the weight could easily go back up.

To run the experiment for yourself, go back to induction and get into ketosis. (a purchase of only ten ketostix should be enough for this.) Wait three days after the start of re-induction to test the first time. Get three days of steady ketosis in place. Then eat just one muffin for breakfast. Go back on induction and keep testing your urine every morning and note when you start showing pink again.

For myself, I find this proof a very convincing argument against having 'just" a taste. Is a half a cookie worth a week's delay in weight loss? You can decide that for yourself, and maybe some days it will be worth the delay.

A piece of good news about your recent experience is that you're discovering something about your maintenance levels of carbs. What you've been eating lately is likely too many carbs (and/or the wrong kind) for you to maintain your loss. Now you have a good idea of what maintenance will look like for you. It's all a learning process.