View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:32

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Have you tried steak in the a.m.? I don't like so much fried food for breakfast either.

Cream cheese rolled up in ham is a quick one that i like.

Another idea is mascarpone (1 oz. = .5) or ricotta cheese (1 oz. = 1.0) with some chopped nuts or perhaps some sliced strawberries or melon if your diet permits.

I just discovered frittatas as well: grated couregette, onion, or mushrooms seem to work the best. Fry the veg until soft, then add scrambled eggs, top with grated cheese as you wish, and cook on very low. Don't stir the eggs, just let them set... takes about 20-30 minutes. Finish off the frittata under the grill.

Besides steak, pork chops can also be nice in the morning, especially seasoned with sage.

Shirred or baked eggs are nice sometimes-- crack an egg into a buttered ramekin, put in a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream, and bake for 15 minutes, longer if you want a firmer yolk. You can also add lots of things like cheese, smoked salmon, asparagus tips, chives or other herbs, morel or porcini mushrooms, among other things.

Delia has a recipe in volume one for a gratin of egg with peppers and chorizo, but I don't have the book with me for the directions

Some other things I have heard:
egg fu yung
hash with meat and turnips or yellow squash
scrambled eggs with minced beef and spinach

Hope this helps.