View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question

I would like to know why we cannot get several of the natural sweetners here in the UK... or could I be blatentlyoverlooking them?

One of the big ones being touted in the States (and mentioned many many times on this discussion site) is 'Splenda.' Supposedly, it is made from the evaporated juice of the sugar cane, though I may have been temporarily insane at the time. Or made from Stevia (see below)? Or made by trolls in their underground kingdoms in trade for designer shoes? I degress... anyway, I have read that it is quite nice compared to the chemically-derived sweetners.

The other natural sweetner is Stevia Leaf, sometimes called Sweet Leaf. This is an herb, not a refined product. One is able to buy it in Herbal/Healthfood shops in the US, but when I asked at my local shop they said that it had been banned in the UK even though it was easily obtained in Europe. Does anyone have a reason why?

Although I am not a sugar-fiend, I would like the occassional cuppa on the sweet side. Can't abide any chemical-tasting stuff, some which make my throat close up (allergic?). Any suggestions, solutions, or answers?

Thanks!