View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 13:14
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

When the first Atkin's book was released, and I suppose for every book after that, media coverage has concentrated on some things and ignored others. So, for example, the success stories with people losing scads of weight easily got all sorts of attention as did the very low level of carbs during induction. I remember when the first DANDR was released and all anyone could talk about was unlimited fats and protein--all that bacon--all those eggs.

I thought that too. I remember reading that I could lose 10% of the weght I needed to lose in the first two weeks and then 5% each month and somehow thinking that meant I would lose like crazy. BUt even with 100 pounds to lose, that would mean that a terrific induction would be ten pounds and the next month I might hope for 4.5 pounds (5% of 90 pounds). By the time I had twenty pounds to lose--a good month would be 1 pound. The reality of slow weight loss was right in front of me, but I ignored that part, preferring to fantasize about losing many years worth of fat in a few short months.

I don't think I have ever read something meant for popular consumption in the media that actually talked about eating a healthy controlled carb diet as a WOL. It is always portrayed as a quick fix weight loss "diet".

I think that is one of the reasons so many of us tell people to READ THE BOOK. It is easy to understand why many people see Atkins as a quick fix crash diet if all they are reading is the attacks by the low fat folks or the popular media.

Even when we read the books, I guess we read selectively too--just like the mass media writers-- and then we hope for magic.