#9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 12:40

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I find it odd, they utterly trust the messages from their bladder or intestines to go to the bathroom, they trust their appetites, they trust their urge to sleep or wake... why do people so utterly distrust their thirst mechanism? Doesn't it seem like human beings would have had a hard time surviving if they didn't have some kind of reliable indicator that they should drink water?

What I've heard most often is that by the time you get the signal that you're thirsty, it means your body is already dehydrated!

I've not believed in the 64oz/day minimum for a long time. I also agree that water is water and it doesn't matter where it comes from. Yes, if you are sensitive to caffeine then you may require more water to balance the diuretic effect, but a lot of us get immune to that and don't have a problem when caffeine is a regular part of our diet.

I don't calculate the water I take in as solid foods. But I do count coffee, tea and the occasional SF soda. I've never had a problem with dehydration, and actually find that the more I drink the more I retain!

I read an article similar to this several years ago and the conclusion the authors came to was the 64oz recomendation started with a health spa that was promoting their own spring water! Unfortunately I've not been able to find the article again, even tho I've searched several times.