#11   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 14:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
What’s funny about this is the low-carb is the ONLY thing that has freaked people out. The reactions are out of this world. What is the deal with this. I mean no one ever got upset over the anorexic behavior or the speed…but mention Low-carb and people about have a heart attack
What's more odd, is that I'm old enough to remember a time when the popular theory was that more protein is good, healthy, and starches made you fat. Weight Watchers earliest program, Overeaters Anonymous, TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) .. they ALL encouraged a reduced calorie regimen that provided higher amounts of lean protein and vegetable oils, lots of vegetables, controlled portions of lowcarb fruit, and reduced/restricted intake of starches and grains. That was in the 60s and 70s.

Public media is very, very powerful in its ability to propagandize and influence popular thought. When the link between cholesterol and heart disease was publicized in the early 80s, food manufacturers went NUTS promoting the low cholesterol, lowfat foods, and sat back while their profits soared. Scientists and researchers KNEW all along that dietary cholesterol -- that which you consume -- has little to do with the level of cholesterol in your blood, which is more influenced by the function of the liver in response to ... SUGAR ... Ooooppss .... ranting, sorry! ..

I recently heard a brief news item about how Canadian prairie farmers are being offered financial incentives to convert part of their land from grain to livestock production. The end of the news item made comment that similar programs are underway in the US farming states as well. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but I have since thought that it will be interesting to see if, in coming years, the pressure will be on to eat more meat, less grain, since the supply of both will be changing in that direction. Once again, the public health is dictated by politics and profit. Some things never change.

Doreen