Thread: Warning!!
View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 12:37

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Tom - I appreciate the cautionary note. I feel so great and have been so successful in overcoming a lifelong problem with hypoglycemia by eating a low-carb diet that I have just been assuming that it's good for me overall. I am guilty of not obeying the advice of Atkins and Eades; I have not had my cholesterol tested since I began. (But I do know that my blood pressure is way down.) Your advice is sound. Cholesterol is silent. I'll get this checked out soon. Thank you for the reminder.

Kent - Science is about observing nature and then developing theories to explain what has been observed. All evidence must be considered in testing a theory. You can't just throw out the evidence that doesn't support the theory.

In sciences like physics and mathematics results are reproducible 100% of the time. If you dropped a rock once and it did not fall, you would have to dismiss the current theories about gravity.

Biology is different. Results are not 100% reproducible; they are usually true. There are far too many factors influencing physiology to expect for everyone to have the same results from doing exactly the same thing. Metabolisms and genetics differ. We're not all the same.

What infuriates me about the medical community is that they refuse to acknowledge 30 years of scientific studies that show that insulin (created by consuming simple carbohydrates) causes many of the major ailments of modern society. Because the evidence doesn't support their current theories, they just dismiss the evidence! That's not science.

Don't be guilty of the same blind faith in low-carb theory. All evidence must be considered. There is no reason to disbelieve Tom. I would be very suspicious of peoples reported results if they all lined up identically. Biology doesn't work that way.

Allison