View Single Post
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 19:18

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Also, for the record, Gillette has been teetering on the brink of ruin for upwards of 4 years (officially) now. They have hired and fired people within the space of mere months. But...more firing than hiring. Yes, that huge, huge company...with just "a few departments" here and there...adds up to thousands. Unable to row its own boat, Gillette put itself up on the auction block two years ago. Can you imagine? "Please buy me." And NOBODY would take it. Yargh. Think about this, now. This is a company that sells razors. RAZORS. Who the heck doesn't use razors? If there is a single solitary person on this board who does not use razors, please stand up and raise your hand. I personally will be shocked to see it waving there.

It is not only companies whose products are no longer in demand, that are in trouble. It is virtually every major corporation in this country, currently. Did you check out Colgate-Palmolive and Unilver (the U.S. division) this week? They lowered their guidances drastically--they are not making money. They just aren't. It is not just baked goods that are on the chopping block. People here are NOT gloating about these companies being unable to sell flour products. They're laughing at the insanity of the company saying it IS because people "won't" eat flour products. Nobody means to hurt anybody--it just seems to be very ironic, that's all.

Again, I feel for your situation and I hope you find another position soon. That's what we all do--the many, many, many other people, in other industries, that this has happened to. When my mortgage company went down, I felt sad (and terrified of not having a job) but I knew they were starting to do really crappy stuff. At one point, my company put out a mortgage for an 80-year-old woman who was about to starve to death unless she mortgaged her home. 80 years...30 year mortgage. You do the math. It was sickening. I did NOT mind ANY jokes about that company going under. Joking about it was what kept us all sane in those final weeks before we were axed for good. We just had to laugh...sometimes you just have to.