View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 13:49

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

- Curry made with ground meat and coconut milk
- Meatloaf made with ground veal and sauteed, chopped mushrooms, maybe porcini and shallots
- Meatballs made from ground veal and seasonings
- Poached salmon with Hollandaise
- Egg salad, deviled eggs
- Avgolemono soup (Greek chicken/lemon soup thicked with egg yolks)
- Albondigas soup, maybe in a tomatillo/chicken broth base (Mexican meatball soup -- try toasted cumin in the meatballs)
- Egg drop soup
- Tofu with yummy Asian dipping sauces
- Soft smoked salmon
- Shepherd's pie with cauliflower mash on top
- Caviar
- Guacamole
- Tom Ga Kai (Thai chicken/coconut milk soup)
- Eggs poached in red wine/shallot sauce (I forget what these are called, sorry) or poached eggs on soft artichoke bottoms with Hollandaise (forget what these are called too)
- Soft fish like sand dabs; canned, smoked kippers
- Raw oysters (just swallow)
- Sashimi
- Medium-sized poached shrimp dipped in fondue made of Fontina D'Aosta and porcini
- Raclette
- Welsh rarebit served on _____ (the idea breaks down here)
- Creamed eggs (chopped hardboiled eggs in cream sauce)
- Shirred eggs (baked in buttered ramekins with cream, butter, grated Parmesan cheese, a paper-thin slice of tomato)
- Eggplant Parmesan
- "Lasagna" made with sauteed, vertical slices of zuccini in place of pasta
- Zucchini ribbons sauteed (they come out like fettucini) and then sauced or sprinkled with sesame seeds or cheese
- Ma Po Dofu (a traditional Chinese recipe for cubes of tofu cooked with ground pork, oyster sauce, and seasonings)

Kristine -- have you ever steamed a meatball? I followed a Chinese dim sum recipe for meatballs a decade ago. They were steamed and they came out un-nervingly soft. I've never done it again because they were way too soft for my taste, but I think it was the steaming that did it, not any special ingredient.

Also, ground veal is very tender in meatloaf and meatballs. I find using 1/2 ground veal an excellent way to omit breadcrumbs. If you used all ground veal, the results would be extremely tender.